Tuesday 26 January 2016

Support for Public Libraries

Happy New Year all. Hope you all had a relaxing break and wonderful holidays. It's time to get back on track.Have you shown your support for the CILIP Campaign for the public's access to libraries? Don't stand on the sidelines hoping it resolves itself. Be the change you want to see. If you agree, show your support by signing the petition.

When I was growing up, I had no access to libraries. I remember hearing about a new library being established when I was about to sit for my O Levels and I rushed there all excited. It was little more than a study space (bear in mind this was almost 20 years ago). The room had tables and chairs, was right next to a really busy market and guess what, it did not faze me because I was just so happy to have somewhere I could go. Please don't let us take for granted the wonderful facilities we have. Let us show our support to ensure it keeps on going.

Well I've been busy at work with training and literature searching. I must say that our use of Knowledgeshare has really improved my searching skills and shortened the time I spend. It's been interesting to discover new techniques from browsing the searches of others and also finding searches similar to those that have been requested of me. I still consider myself in the honeymoon phase but it gets a thumbs up from me.

It's official. I have a fear of public speaking. Or is it a fear of speaking to a room full of librarians. I presented at the last CILIP ILIG Event and although I got good feedback, the experience was a bit scary. My solution is to press on. I remember feeling the same way when I started doing training sessions and it doesn't bother me anymore. I met Shane Godbolt at the event which was quite opportuned as only the day before I had been nosing around the Partnerships in Health Information website trying to figure out how I could get involved. We had a nice chat and I hope we'll be doing more together in future.

Before the Christmas break, I applied for the "Knowledge for Healthcare Leadership Development Programme" and I just had news that I was successful. I'm really looking forward to the launch which is to take place in London (fortunately for me) in March. The programme is for a year so a lot of my blogging over the next 13 months may focus on this (do bear with me). It will be nice to meet with other participants, my project sponsor and my project team members. I would be happy to hear from anyone who might be on this or similar programmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment